What is the Justice, Ecology and Development Office?
The JEDO mission is “to serve God for justice and peace.” This means that the office is concerned with defending individual human dignity, promoting solidarity, and fostering the common good, as well as working to cultivate personal and social responsibility, and standing with the marginalised to actively safeguard the integrity of all creation.
- To work closely with the Australian Catholic Bishops’ Conference (ACBC) through the Bishops’ Commission for Social Justice, Mission and Service (BCSJMS) and through the associated organisations: the Office for Social Justice (OSJ), Catholic Earthcare Australia (CEA) and Caritas Australia.
- To promote Justice, Ecology and Development through projects and activities based on the social teachings of the Catholic Church. These projects include:
- Educational opportunities and resources to promote a deeper understanding of and commitment to the Church’s social mission amongst the people of the Archdiocese;
- Collaborative action to assist parishes and Archdiocesan agencies and organisations to address concrete challenges in the areas of justice and peace; and
- Advisory activities to enable the Archdiocese to respond to social issues from a Catholic perspective.
- To support local Catholic action groups concerned with social disadvantage.
- To work with other faith communities, civic and professional groups concerned with justice.