Refugee Week will be held from Sunday 20 June to Saturday 26 June
Refugee Week is Australia’s peak annual activity to raise awareness about the issues affecting refugees and celebrate the positive contributions made by refugees to Australian society. Originally celebrated in 1986, Refugee Week coincides with World Refugee Day (20 June).
Refugee Week 2021 Theme: Unity
Why does Refugee Week have a theme?
The Refugee Week theme has a number of important functions:
- It raises awareness of the issues affecting refugees. The theme aims to highlight aspects of the refugee experience and help the broader community to understand what it is like to be a refugee.
- It helps to make Refugee Week a national celebration. The theme provides a focal point for events across Australia, uniting separate activities into a single nationwide celebration.
- It promotes harmony and togetherness. The theme unites individuals, communities and organisations from many different backgrounds behind a common cause. The common theme is a reminder that, regardless of our differences, we all share a common humanity.
- It broadens the impact of Refugee Week. The theme provides a common, cohesive message which can be promoted across the country, helping to maximise the effectiveness of awareness-raising activities.
2021 Theme – Unity
Unity – The way forward.
The volatility of life in recent times has shown us unequivocally that we need to work together often merely to survive, let alone to thrive and progress. Let’s take the opportunity to start afresh and rebuild our lives together. To count our blessings and to put them to work. Existing and emerging communities. Working together.
The powerful potential of Unity. The special brew of ideas from all over the world that created our great way of life can continue evolving if we work together. Let’s not stop now, let’s move forward unified.
In 2021, we are calling on you to help build a more cohesive community during Refugee Week. Whether hosting a local meal, a community event or attending an online event to hear from people all over the world, join us as we call for the spirit of unity as we recover from the isolation we have all endured in 2020.
Stronger. Safer. Healthier. Happier. Together.
Past Refugee Week themes
- 2020: Year of Welcome
- 2019: A World of Stories
- 2018: #WithRefugees
- 2015-2017: With courage let us all combine
- 2012-2014: Restoring Hope
- 2009-2011: Freedom from Fear
- 2008: A Place to Call Home
- 2007: The Voices of Young Refugees
- 2006: Journeys
- 2005: Different Past, Shared Future
- 2004: A Journey of Understanding Towards Hope and Respect
THE REFUGEE COUNCIL OF AUSTRALIA
Head office (secretariat)
Suite 4A6, 410 Elizabeth Street
Surry Hills NSW 2010
Tel: (02) 9211 9333
Fax: (02) 9211 9288
Unit 601, 580 Collins Street,
Tel: (03) 9600 3302
Please note there are no administrative staff at this office and staff may not be in the office at all times.
For public enquiries, please contact the Sydney office or write us an email.